Can I Really Retire Early?

I began this whole personal finance journey proper only after graduation, when I got my first proper 9-5 job. I had this whole ‘the world is your oyster!’ mindset, and I felt like I could finally have the freedom to exercise my own financial choices, and be fully responsible for it.

When I first came across the idea of FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early), I was hooked. You mean, it’s possible to not slog away 40 years of my life and then reach the point of retirement? What wonderful amazing idea is this! 

Wow, now THAT sounds real tempting. 

I started reading up sites and blogs, looking through articles which were written by people who were already on this journey, and I was feeling super pumped. 

Not just random people living in the States too, there were articles written by Singaporeans, as this FIRE trend started taking over globally. 

Something about people practising it in Singapore which makes it more.... relatable? 

Like, even Singaporeans ARE achieving it! It’s proven! It’s possible! 

Also found variations of FIRE (Fat FIRE, lean FIRE etc) and with these variations, you could set a goal for yourself to create more leeway, which makes it slightly more realistic or achieveable.

There were a few things which these sites mainly focused on, which were stuff like:
1) Frugality (in terms of spendings and lifestyle) 
2) Focusing on delayed gratification 
3) Saving xx% of your income 
4) Having a diversified investment portfolio

It usually revolves around these points (probably more, just off the top of my head). I read on and felt like even though it seemed that it could be doable (with a truckload of discipline exercised), it just seemed really tough. 

I mean, I have an always-below-the-median pay. Most of these people who are well on track for this journey are making it by leaping through promotion hoops at work, they are bright people who have high incomes and are able to save a large chunk of their income by living way below their means, and then achieving independence at 35 or something.

It was pretty discouraging, especially when you know you’re just an average joe who’ll only earn an average keep. 

However, determined to at least give this whole journey a shot, I decided to break this whole seemingly unattainable journey down into little digestible pieces. The road is long, and I didn’t want to give up just right at the start. 

I started little goal posts for myself, little achievable targets which might keep me encouraged and to keep going.

I'm gonna start sharing what some of my targets are in the next couple of blog posts.

P.S. They aren't BIG things, just something an average salaryman like me can handle. Little baby steps.

Keep ya posted! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 lessons I've learnt at 30

Saving my next $100,000 - How’s it going?

Tracking my income growth since graduation